Thursday, August 24, 2006

New book on aggregate table design

Since we introduced Aggregate Tables in mondrian-2.1, I have been hearing two things about them from everyone: they are really good at speeding up your Mondrian-based data warehouse, and they are really difficult to design.

So, I was delighted to come across a book all about aggregate tables. (More so, because I came across it the traditional way, by browsing the computer section of my local bookstore. I've posted the Amazon link below for your convenience, but if you cherish your local bookstore, you know what you have to do...)

The book is "Mastering Data Warehouse Aggregates: Solutions for Star Schema Performance", by Christopher Adamson, described as "the first book to provide in-depth coverage of star schema aggregates used in dimensional modeling-from selection and design, to loading and usage, to specific tasks and deliverables for implementation projects".

I didn't buy a copy right then, but I had a quick glance through it. It looked as if it would be very helpful for designing aggregate tables for Mondrian. I'd love to hear what other people think of this book.

Do you own the book? Post your feedback here. Should we recommend this book as part of the Mondrian documentation? Any other books you find useful when developing Mondrian applications?

No comments: